Rail, Luas, Metro upgrades suggested for DublinDublin City, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, Featured Updates, Fingal, News, South Dublin Tuesday, March 1st, 2011
A draft transport strategy for Dublin supports upgrading heavy rail, Luas and planned Metro lines .
The Great Dublin Area Draft Transport Strategy 2011–2030 includes the already planned Dart Underground, Metro North, Metro West, Luas projects, and a railway to Navan. It also suggests, subject to assessment and depending on demand:
- Linking Metro North with the Luas Green Line.
- Upgrading the Luas Green Line to Metro standard (mainly remove at-grade road crossing and lengthening platforms at tram stops).
- A new on-surface Luas line to Tallaght via areas such as Kimmage which have no rail services. This was chosen over previously outlined plans for an underground line on this route.
- Expanded plans for a Lucan Luas to continue from the city centre to the south Docklands, Rinsgend and Poolbeg areas.
- Consideration of a Bus Rapid Transit option for the Lucan Luas and the Luas via Kimmage before railway orders are applied for.
- The electrification of heavy rail lines in Dublin (to Maynooth and Balbriggan or beyond), as part of Dart Underground project.
- The removal of road crossing on rail lines between Maynooth and Connolly; and north of Bray towards the city.
- A feasibility study should examine the possibility of additional tracks on Irish Rail’s Northern Line between Connolly Station and Balbriggan so that Dart trains are not slowed by Intercity services.
- Minimum Dart running times of 10 minutes at peak and 6 minutes in central areas, and off-peak every 15 minute off peak and 10 minutes in central areas.
However the authority ruled out the short-term construction of some of the projects it looked at due to a predicted low level of demand. It said, “However, it is possible that these schemes may become viable at some point during the life of this strategy as development and demand patterns will change over time from those assumed in appraisal.” These projects include:
- Luas Line E (Rathfarnham to City Centre);
- Luas Line D1 – an extension of the planned BXD Luas from Broombridge to Meakstown, Finglas at the M50
- Extension of Metro North from Swords to Donabate Dart station;
- Extension of Metro West from Tallaght East to Dundrum/Balally;
- Extending Luas Line F from Lucan to Adamstown
- Extending Luas Red Line spur to Saggart (Line A1) onwards to Greenogue; and beyond the Point across the Liffey to Poolbeg
- A Luas feeder shuttle between Sallins Rail station and Naas Town Centre.
Public consultation on the plan is open until April 11.
NTA 2030 Dublin rail map:
Short URL: http://dublinobserver.com/?p=3291