City water supply in danger as pipe burstsDublin City, Featured Updates, News Friday, August 6th, 2010
UPDATE HERE: Council rolls out water tankers to affected areas
Residents in Dublin City are facing possible water cuts after a major water pipeline burst this afternoon .
Dublin City Council have warned that areas on the northside and some areas on the southside will experience reductions in water pressure and possibly a loss of supply.
UPDATED 6.34pm, August 6: Dublin City Council said after 6pm that the watermain has now being shut down and work is commencing to carry out the repair. The council hopes work will be completed over night.
It now says there is a general reduction in water pressure city-wide and the following areas may “experience extremely low pressure with a high possibility of no water supply”:
- East of the Malahide Road from Fairview Park to Artane all the way to the coast, including Fairview, Clontarf, Killester, Raheny, Artane and surrounds.
- South Circular Road Adelaide Road to Kilmainham and surrounds.
- Griffith Avenue and surrounds, including Whitehall, Glasnevin and Drumcondra.
- James Street and surrounds.
- Baggot St Bridge to Leeson Street and surrounds.
- Inchicore to Islandbridge and surrounds
“This watermain is being shut down and an examination is being carried out to determine the extent of the problem. Work is ongoing to feed water to the areas affected by alternative routes. Areas on the north of the city and some areas on the south side will experience reductions in pressure and possible loss of supply,” said a statement released after 4pm.
It added: “All efforts will be made to carry out the work in the optimum time and to minimise disruption as far as is possible. Dublin City Council apologises for the inconvenience caused. With the public’s co-operation and understanding we hope to keep the disruption to a minimum.”
Gardai are advising motorists to avoid Marrowbone Lane, Thomas Court, South Earl Street and School Street area if possible.
Short URL: http://dublinobserver.com/?p=1390