Views sought on St James Graveyard

Architects carrying out a study on St James’s Graveyard beside the Guinness Brewery are seeking the public’s help.

St James’s Graveyard on James’s Street is the largest of the old cemeteries in Dublin’s inner city. Architects say it was founded in the late 12th Century shortly after the Anglo–Norman Invasion, c.1190.

Bernard Seymour Landscape Architects are surveying the graveyard as its ownership is being transferred to Dublin City Council.

The church building is the third on the site. It was last used as a church in 1963, more recently it was as a lighting shop called Lighting World.

A feasibility study was commissioned to look at the 1.5 acre graveyard as an accessible public amenity and historical site. The study will take the landscape, architectural and cultural heritage, ecology, archaeology and spiritual values of the church and graveyard into account.

“The church yard is one of the oldest burial grounds in the city and was the one most used by Catholics during penal times. The first record of a burial is in the will of Walter Segyne dated 1495. The graveyard hosts a multitude of burials spanning the social spectrum, ranging from a volunteer executed for his part in the 1916 rising to Augustinian Friars from the nearby monastery on Thomas Street,” say architects on the project’s blog at stjamesgraveyard.blogspot.com.

Bernard Seymour Landscape Architects are inviting the public to complete a survey here, comment on the project’s blog, email bslarch@gmail.com or contact them by post at Bernard Seymour Landscape Architects, 15 Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin 7.

The company says the blog will be updated with progress of the study.

Short URL: http://dublinobserver.com/?p=1246

Comments are closed

© 2017 Dublin Observer. All Rights Reserved. Log in

web analytics
- Designed by Gabfire Themes