Late goal gives UCD victory

By Niall Farrell (

A late winner from UCD captain Evan McMillan gave the students a
dramatic last-gasp win over Sporting Fingal last night at Morton

Goals were the priority for both sides from the opening whistle, with
Eamon Zayed scoring the opener after just 4 minutes.

Alan Kirby played the ball into Zayed from the left wing, who knocked
it down for Conan Byrne out wide on the right.Byrne the returned the
ball low for Zayed to tap the ball in.

Fingal enjoyed near-total domination of possesion in the opening ten
minutes, but began to back off UCD more afterwards.

As UCD enjoyed more possession, the Students were able to come back
into the match.

Andy Boyle levelled for the away side on 18 minutes. Shaun Williams
gave away a free-kick out wide to the right of the Sporting box, and
Paul Corry whipped it in for Boyle to head the ball in.

Ciaran Kilduff had a glorious chance to level for UCD after 27
minutes. Evan McMillan lobbed a ball over the Fingal defence to allow
Kilduff, still onside, in on goal.

Shaun Williams got back just in time to make a goal-saving tackle
before Kilduff shot.

Clarke was called into action eleven minutes later as the Fingal
‘keeper had to make a fine save to deny David McMillan a goal.

Dwayne Wilson turned inside Lorcan Fitzgerald on the right wing and
passed fore McMillan, on his own in front of goal. Clarke parried the
ball over the bar brilliantly as the shot came in though.

After half time, Sporting reaffirmed their dominance on the match.
Lorcan Fitzgerald had a chance from long-range go wide on 48 minutes,
but Conan Byrne should have put the home side into the lead on 53

Glen Crowe passed to Alan Kirby out wide, who cut into the penalty
area and found Byrne with a precise pass.

Byrne, left with just the ‘keeper to beat, somehow dragged his shot
wide when it looked a certain goal.

UCD ‘keeper Billy Brennan was again at the centre of the action
minutes later after he pulled off another fine save to deny Alan Kirby
a goal.

Evan McMillan made a number of goal-saving tackles, including one on
ex-UCD player Conan Byrne right in front of the College goal.

UCD did have a majority of possession in the last fifteen minutes, but
the students weren’t able to finish off their fine passing moves with
a goal until the 87th minute.

After a period of sustained UCD pressure, David Mulhall whipped in a
dangerous corner. Captain Evan McMillan was at hand to head the ball
powerfully past the helpless Brendan Clarke.

Two goals from set-pieces gave UCD a win in a match which could have
gome either way, keeping College in 6th position in the Premier

Sporting Fingal: Brendan Clarke, Lorcan Fitzgerald, Shaun
Williams, Colm James, Brian Gannon, Conan Byrne, Ronan Finn, Alan
Kirby (Shane Barrett ’88), Shane McFaul, Glen Crowe, Eamon Zayed
(Keith Quinn ’79) Subs Not Used: Darren Quigley, Stephen
Paisley, Kevin Dawson

UCD: Billy Brennan, Brian Shortall (Sean Harding ’71), Ciaran
Nangle, Evan McMillan, Andrew Boyle, Ciaran Mulhall, David McMillan,
Robert Creevy (Stephen Roche ’75), Paul Corry (Paul O’Conor ’81),
Dwayne Wilson, Ciaran Kilduff  Subs Not Used: Ger Barron, Keith

Referee: Grahan Kelly

Attendance: 511 Man of the Match: Evan McMillan

Short URL:

Comments are closed

© 2017 Dublin Observer. All Rights Reserved. Log in

web analytics
- Designed by Gabfire Themes