ESB says Poolbeg chimneys’ fate undecidedDublin City, News, Poolbeg Thursday, April 15th, 2010
The fate of Dublin’s landmark Poolbeg chimneys is a step closer to being decided after the ESB shut down the attached power plant at the end of March.
The ESB said no decision has been made in relation the chimneys (pictured in the background above), adding it would be in contact with Dublin City Council.
However, it is widely seen that the closure of the oil-fired power plant will pave the way for the demolition of the twin 680ft towers which can be seen from around the city.
City councillors wanted the red-and-white striped chimneys put on the list of preserved structures last year. But planners at Dublin City Council said while the towers were “considered to be of a certain level of architectural, social and historical significance,” the two were not of “sufficient value” for inclusion on the Record of Protected Structures.
With resistance to the destruction already mounting before the landmark’s fate is sealed, opposition to any proposal to knock the towers is likely to be strong.
“They should definitely be preserved. They’re part of our DNA,” RTE presenter Joe Duffy recently told the Evening Herald.
The oil-burning power plant was nearing the end of its planned life, but the closure was also brought on by commitments the ESB made to lower its share of electricity generation to level out market competition so the company were allowed to build a new plant in Co Cork. Power will still be generated on the Poolbeg site at a gas-powered plant.
Short URL: http://dublinobserver.com/?p=64